Monday, August 17, 2009

Film: Stranger than Fiction (& my subsequent thoughts on life)

Disclaimer: If you are going to watch this movie, I probably wouldn’t read this. I’m bad about giving plot away sometimes (but not the whole thing)…

Isn’t it strange how people come and go in our lives day to day and we never know when they come if they are going to be important to us someday? That they might have a profound effect on our life? There’s those people that you made a bad first impression on and at first you told yourself it was no big deal, but then a little while later you really regretted it. That’s the kind of thing I love about life – things have a strange way of working out but getting the best of us in the process.

Today I watched Stranger than Fiction and found it to be not at all what I expected. It was tragic and not your standard Will Ferrell comedy. I was caught completely off guard, but pleasantly so. Will Ferrell, an IRS auditor, falls for a indie-type tattoo-adorned baker, Maggie Gyllenhaal, who refuses to pay all of her taxes because she doesn’t agree with the government’s use of them. When he walked into that bakery, he had NO idea that he could fall for a girl like her and so starkly unlike him. He made a horrid first impression, but down the road, it played to his advantage.

It made me think. There is someone in my life that I am terribly attracted to because he intimidates me. I find myself very strange in this realization but intriguing at the same time. I know I made a bad first impression awhile back and I think that has a bit to do with why he scares me. What to do with this I don’t know, but it’s interesting all the same. I certainly didn’t see this coming when I met him that first day.

My life is no movie, but movies certainly make me think about my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment