Friday, August 28, 2009

Dining: Pizza Joints in Stamford - the lovely and the ugly

This week I have had the unfortunate opportunity to eat out for pizza not once, but twice. This is not a habit I intend to keep up with (it's surprisingly not as beneficial as frequenting the gym - surprising, right?), but it did give me the chance to make a good comparison of the two - Colony Pizza and Remos Brick Oven Pizza.

Monday I went with two girlfriends to Colony Pizza, which is said to be the best pizza in the city. The place is ugly and serves only thin crust pizza to eat and only beer and martinis to drink. I personally don’t feel that martinis go well with pizza, but obviously they feel differently. Beer does go with pizza, but only when your tap is working… I ordered a cheese pizza with peppers and I think there may have been 3 whole large peppers on there – I mean I got my moneys worth, but I don’t want to eat peppers again for a couple months now. It took great effort to get anything at all from our server and the parking lot was a small glimpse of hell. If it weren’t for the company, it would have been an unbearable experience.

Wednesday I went to Remos on Bedford St. and pleasantly surprised. I chose it because I’d walked past before and liked the décor a lot. Well, it turned out to be as delicious as it looked from the sidewalk. They cook them in a brick oven and have a choice of old world (with fresh mozzarella and flat bread) or new world pizza (New York style). They have unusual high end toppings as well as the usual. I had an old world spinach pizza and it was absolutely fantastic, paired very well with my glass of wine. The décor is cozy and the modern Italian music sets the mood. I couldn’t be more complimentary of their establishment.

I will most certainly be back at Remos again in the near future, but Colony – it will take a miracle to get me through their door again. I’ll do all I can to change the perception that they are the best in town, because it is most assuredly not true.

2 comments:

  1. follow up comments more than 2 years later - I had colony again at a friend's urging, but from the new location in Fairfield & as take out. It was pretty good. I like the hot oil a lot - something different. And it's not too spicy like I expected it to be. It improved my opinion of them a few points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have remembered to post this a long time ago, but I ended up spending Christmas Eve 2009 at Remos as well. Blame it on back luck with travels, but it was the highlight of an otherwise awful day. Remos continues to have a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete