Tuesday, January 18, 2011

quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger

I hate bull but sometimes I catch myself spewing it anyhow. Literally I’ll be sitting here writing up a post thinking I have this great idea, this unique perspective, and then I will read what’s on the screen and be disgusted with myself. It’s full of things I don’t actually know to be true, generalizations and probably a few offensive remarks as well.

I’m not one to press the Publish button immediately, but at the same time, I think I could be slower to the draw. Our generation in so many facets has lost its filter; free speech has picked up a distinct stench of entitlement. Yes, I think our opinions and perspectives are invaluable, but I think there’s more. So much to learn, so many ways our education is not complete. What would happen if I read through this a couple times/ thought over this a couple times before I actually put it out there? Well I might be called slow, but at least I’d have a better chance at being wise. Maybe.

As I finished writing this, the source popped into my head -- Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger. James 1:19.

No comments:

Post a Comment