Friday, July 31, 2009

Duplicity

Something I have given a lot of thought to lately is how people change themselves based on who they are around. We are all guilty of it, so don’t think I’m talking about other people – I’m talking about me and I’m talking about you.

I have the unique opportunity of spending all of my time as of late around people I really don’t know. This opportunity leaves me with a choice of how I want to present myself and how I want them to perceive me; they don’t know where I come from and we don’t have mutual acquaintances. What I say and how I act here and now is all they now. I think that’s kind of powerful. It’s both a greater opportunity and a great threat.

As I think about this, I realize I kind of want to kick myself in the head. Why do I want to be anything different than what I already am? I know what I’m grounded in and I like who I am; to even consider being anything other is just ridiculous.

I think a lot of times people think they have to be clever to be what others want. They think they are loved based on this persona they have created, but there is so much freedom in being just as you are. And if we are aim to be what another wants, won’t we all end up more homogenous than when we began? I’m quirky sometimes; if people think that’s weird, well, they can go be normal without me. I’m quiet sometimes; if that freaks people out, fine, there are others who find peace in that. There is something to be said for being comfortable with who you are and not expecting others to be to change themselves for you. I’m working toward making this true of me

No comments:

Post a Comment