Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Film: The Jane Austen Book Club

I’ve been a lover of Jane Austen since I was introduced to her in the tenth grade, but have not picked up one of her novels in a couple years now. Today I joined the local library (maybe the only free thing in this state) and rented the movie, The Jane Austen Book Club.

I must admit that it surpassed all my expectations. The characters in this movie form a book club as an escape from their disheveled lives and through the club end up piecing them back together. I thoroughly enjoyed how realistically varied the characters were and how poetically they found commonality through the books though they perceived the stories very differently. Jane Austen is a timeless author with themes that are and will always be applicable to relationships; this movie has rekindled my love for her novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment